Monday, December 6, 2010

Pheromones act as Kitty Prozac

In this article from TIME magazine, it talks about how more and more veterinarians are prescribing pheromone collars for pets who are high energy or need a calming effect. In the article it mentions how more animals are put own or given away because of behavioral problems than for any other reason. That was upsetting to me. I myself have a very nervous cat. Rupert has actually had to be on prozac several times because he's so anxious. It does calm him down, but he doesn't like the pills and they are expensive to buy for a cat. If pheromone collars worked I think it could be a great alternative, giving pet owners an alternative to expensive medications and also giving the animals the benefit of the doubt to see if they calm down and are able to lead happier, less stressful lives.
It almost strikes me as a more holistic approach to animal care. You're not pumping them full of chemicals or going with surgery, you're trying a naturally calming approach to deal with your problems instead of the alternatives.
I would probably try it on my cat if he continues to have a problem, but I might not want him to have a pheromone collar forever because I feel like that could change his own personality. Hopefully it would help enough but not be too severe for a small cat.

Leah Salloway

1 comment:

  1. This is really interesting. But I think that if these collars are being prescribed to dogs and cats that are too rambunctious those owners should simply not have pets at all. Many people are to busy to make sure their dogs get enough exercise each day, this collar seems like a way for these owners to continue to neglect their animals. A previous blog post had been on domestic and lab animals also gaining weight and I think this collar would only add to that. Some individuals may not have time for regular physical exercise however their pets should not have to suffer because of us.

    Posted by: Sara Weaver

    ReplyDelete